Build #2: 1/35 Dragon SU-100 Premium

Scale plastic model build logs

Build #2: 1/35 Dragon SU-100 Premium

Postby vtrockin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:42 am

Documenting the painting process of this model - not the whole build up. Here is the finished kit prior to painting. I have a set of metal Friul tracks I will be using to replace the Magic Tracks - that's the only aftermarket upgrade to this kit. The Dragon Premium kits generally have a bunch of nice PE for detailing (and the metal barrel of course!). I've done some weld beads with Milliput to replace the molded plastic welds beads.

vtrockin
Site Admin

Re: Build #2: 1/35 Dragon SU-100 Premium

Postby vtrockin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Started with an enamel base coat - a brownish grey:

Followed up with Vallejo Russian Green acrylic:

Took my base coat green and lightened it with a little yellow and a smidge of white. Airbrushed highlights onto panel center and high points of the model . Really adds some dimension and 'shawdows' to the model - though it's hard to see in the photos:
vtrockin
Site Admin

Postby vtrockin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I combined a few steps here. First was a dot method filter applied with yellow orche, blue, black, oil to add some nice variation in the tone. I also painted the tools, spare tracks, etc and did a bunch of chipping. I first did a layer of chipping with the lightened base coat followed by a dark rust color. I applied this with a small brush, but in retrospect may want to do the sponge method next time to save time.

The next phase will be the washes followed by general weathering. Oh yeah - and I still have the Friul track to do too :?

vtrockin
Site Admin

Postby vtrockin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

While washing the tank I decided to start on the Friul metal tracks for the beast. This was my first time with Friuls, and while tedious to build link by link having a working tracks is very nice.
I painted a base coat of acrylic black grey, gave a wash or two of van dyke brown, lightly sanded away some paint to expose the metal and gave a coat of Dullcote. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

vtrockin
Site Admin

Postby vtrockin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Almost at the finish line. General blanket washes of Van Dyke brown and pin wash of black completed. Gonna throw a coat of Dullcote on and finish up with the weathering using some pigments and other minor details.
vtrockin
Site Admin

Postby vtrockin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 am

And we're finally done. I finished it up with some MIG Pigments to give a used look. I used a combination of Russian Earth and Europe Dust. I usually think of Russian tanks covered in mud and was going to attempt that, but this project has been on my workbench way too long so it was time to do a basic dusting and move on 8-)

Come see the full gallery of pics at http://vtmodels.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=5
vtrockin
Site Admin

Return to Build Logs